NEW HAMPSHIRE on HIGH: HISTORIC AND UNUSUAL WEATHERVANES OF THE GRANITE STATE
Join us Tuesday August 1 at 7 pm at the Abbie Greenleaf Library, Main Street, Franconia for a New Hampshire Humanities presentation by Glenn Knoblock. This is the second in a series of free programs that the Franconia Heritage Museum will sponsor throughout the 2017 season.
Glenn Knoblock, an independent scholar, author and historian offers a fun and engaging look at historic and unusual weathervanes found throughout the state. In addition to giving us a visual presentation of the weathervanes, he will trace their history, practical use, interesting symbolism, methods of manufacture and the evolution from weather instrument to architectural email@example.com
Permanent displays in the furnished 1878 New England farm house and attached buildings include old farm equipment, Old Man of the Mountain, Iron Furnace, Guest Houses of Yesteryear, and a photo display of the Dow Clock and Tower repair and renovation. Self-guided or staff-guided tours are available. There is no admittance fee although donations are always welcome.
Come try our scavenger hunt...fun for all ages! See if you can find artifacts that our ancestors would have had or used, but are mysterious to us!
The Grange: a voice for the farmers exhibit will be on display, for the last season, in the Jewell Friedman Exhibit Room.
Founded in 1867 after the Civil War, the Grange is the oldest surviving agricultural organization in America. In addition to serving as a center for many farming communities, the Grange was an effective advocacy group for farmers and their agendas, including fighting railroad monopolies and advocating rural mail deliveries. Plan to visit the Museum to learn more about this progressive organization.
The Franconia Heritage Museum is open Saturdays from 1-4 pm thru October 14 or by appointment.To make an appointment contact us in advance by leaving a voice messsage at 603-823-5000, or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Franconia Heritage Museum is located
in an 1878 New England Farm House with attached barn and sheds.
The Museum opened in 1998 with a collection
preserved by Sarah Nelson Welch, great granddaughter of Luke Brooks, one of the
first white men to observe the Old Man of the Mountains in Franconia Notch in
1805. Many other local families have contributed their artifacts to the
museum, so that it reflects life in Franconia since the town's founding in 1772.
A visit to our fully furnished farmhouse is like a trip to
your great grandparents home.
Old Man of the Mountains
Self-Guided and Staff-Guided Tours
No admittance fee – Donations welcome.
The Museum is dependent on memberships, contributions and sales; it is managed maintained by volunteers.
Open from Memorial Day weekend thru Columbus Day weekend on Saturdays from 1-4pm or by appointment
From Interstate 93, take exit 38 to blinking light on Main St.(Rt 18), turn left. The Museum is about one third of a mile on the left. Look for signs.
Franconia Heritage Museum
553 Main Street, PO Box 169
Franconia, NH 03580